At least eleven people were killed and 44 injured after a man intentionally drove a car into a crowded square in southern China. The driver also attacked the people with a knife and a shovel. The government said on Thursday.
According to a statement released by the Hengyang government on Weibo, China’s popular social media platform, the driver drove the car onto the square in Mishui town of Hengyang city in Hunan province.
The driver who has been identified as Yang Zanyun has a long criminal record including selling drugs, theft and attacking people. He had been jailed at least six times. The government says it caused him to harbor a desire for “revenge on society”.
He has been detained. The police have started its investigation but they did not mention if it was a terror attack.
Earlier, the government said three people died, but later raised the death toll in next statements.
— People’s Daily,China (@PDChina) September 12, 2018
The injured were taken to the hospitals; three of them are reported to be in a critical condition.
Videos of the incident were widely shared on Chinese social media platforms. In these videos, scenes of carnage and chaos in the square could be seen. National news networks run several clips of the incident showing the wounded and dead lying in the square in the pool of blood.
Earlier this year, in February, a minivan in Central Shanghai caught fire and plowed into citizens injuring 18 of them. Investigation report showed that the fire was caused by a driver who was smoking a cigarette inside the vehicle while illegally transporting highly flammable substances.
In another incident, a car plowed through pedestrians in the Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in 2013. 5 people died in this incident.